Military QPL and Commercial Connectors for Harsh Environment Air-Tight-Seal Applications
Hermetic connectors are a special class of Mil /Aero interconnect that incorporates glass-to-metal or other highly-engineered sealing technology. Hermetic connectors are specified for applications as divergent as submarines and orbiting satellites. They are deployed to resist moisture ingress in underground applications and to withstand pressure differentials in vacuum chambers, laboratory equipment and commercial and military aircraft.
Hermetic connectors, such as the MIL-DTL-38999 Series I, II, III and IV supplied by Glenair, are principally designed for use in military aerospace — in fact, the requirement for connector hermeticity was originally driven by military electronic applications. But the products are equally at home in commercial applications such as oil-patch, logging equipment or medical devices.
Hermetic connectors thrive in harsh application environments. Sensitive photographic, sensor and surveillance equipment mounted in the tactical Unmanned Aerial Vehicle for example, must be able to operate in severe weather conditions, at high altitudes, under extremes of atmospheric pressure and in rapidly changing temperature gradients. Hermetic connector devices penetrating vacuum sealed black box equipment are selected for their ability to protect the controlled equipment environment by maintaining an air-tight seal between severe flight conditions and aircraft's sensitive payload.
While glass-to-metal sealing has traditionally been the "gold standard" of hermetic sealing, new lightweight encapsulant sealing technology from Glenair, called CODE RED, delivers mission-critical hermetic sealing with better contact electrical performance and a significant reduction in weight.
CODE RED Lightweight, Mission-Critical Hermetic Sealing
- "Mission-Critical" Hermetic Sealing with better than 1x10-7 Leak-Rate Performance
- 806-028 Mighty Mouse Mil-Aero Connectors - CODE RED Lightweight Aluminum Hermetic Receptacles, PC Tail / Series 806
- Hermetic Connector Technology: Glass-to-Metal Seal and Lightweight CODE RED Hermetic Solutions
- CODE RED Lightweight Hermetic Connectors for Mission-Critical Applications
Introduction to Hermetic Connectors
- Introduction to Glenair Hermetic Connector Products
- Space Grade Mod Code
- Special Leak Rate Modification Codes
- Helium Leak Rates and Testing
- Hermetic Connector Designer's Application Checklist
- Rugged Connectors for Geophysical and Offshore Applications
- Miniaturized Circular Connectors (38999, 28840, 5015, and Other Cylindrical Designs)
PC Tail Termination Note
To prevent detrimental intrusion of cleaning solvents/water into the connector when terminating, the connector must be protected IAW IPC J-STD-001 and/or NASA STD-8739.3. For assistance and/or additional information, please contact factory.
Download CatalogHermetic Connectors