Ultra-Miniature Micro-D Connectors with High-Speed VersaLink Contact Technology
High-speed serial data protocols (USB 3.1 Gen2, USB-C, SATA, PCIe, DisplayPort, and HDMI) all have transmission rates in the 10Gb/s+ range for each data pair. In order to provide truly high-speed signal integrity for these bandwidth-dependent protocols, Glenair has invented a new contact technology called VersaLink™ which delivers outstanding impedance matching and cross-talk isolation at both the cable-to-connector interface, as well as between connector and board. VersaLink is a highly-engineered differential Twinax contact module that may be packaged in a wide range of both circular and rectangular connector formats such as the MIL-DTL-83513 Micro-D. This high-density package solution provides mating reliability, ruggedness, signal integrity, and deployment simplicity.
- VersaLink: shielded differential Twinax interconnect solution
- Signature Glenair design intermountable in standard Micro-D footprints
- Higher speed and density than mil-spec style Twinax solutions
- Individually shielded pairs result in virtually zero cross talk
- Hybrid arrangements with VersaLink contact modules and standard Micro-D inserts for signal and power
Data-intensive servers, computers and peripheral devices in mission-critical applications require a new generation of shielded contact technology and tried-and-true connector package performance. Both are exquisitely realized in the VersaLink Micro-D.
Application Note / Document #: AN0005
Bypass High-Loss Board Traces with a Low Insertion-Loss and Low Signal-Latency Point-to-Point Twinax Jumper
High-speed data transmission from one PCB to another, from one side of a backplane to another, or even from one side of a complex embedded system to another, is frequently accomplished by routing high-speed traces on a dedicated high-speed signal layer. This is a complex assignment — fraught with potential for impedance discontinuities and unacceptable insertion loss — as traces must navigate difficult and/or long routing paths around via columns and other board irregularities. The Glenair VersaLink Bridge is a high-density, micro-form factor twinax connector / jumper assembly used to bridge the gap between point A and point B on the board (such as between two SML integrated circuit chips) with better signal integrity than native board traces can ever deliver. VersaLink Bridge is equally capable of dramatically reducing insertion loss and signal latencies for data traffic between an ASIC and the I/O.
- Small footprint, high-density solution
- Versatile solder-mount or screw-mount board termination
- 100 Ohm differential Twinax
- Push-pull mating or bayonet-lock for high vibration and shock applications
- Keyed polarization prevents mis-mating
- Low insertion loss and low signal latencies for high datarate board transmission