Note: Glenair does not recommend the use of locking compounds of any kind on composite threads to maintain torque. Proper tightening using approved Glenair tools is the best method of insuring torque retention for the life of the product.
In the event that a thread locking compound is used or is specified by an OEM assembly procedure we recommend the following:
- Loctite products are NOT recommended. Loctite compounds are formulated with an Aromatic Hydrocarbon that will specifically attack unplated composite threaded components made from Ultem, particularly when under the stress of installation. Removable Loctite Threadlocker 242 carries the warning "May attack some plastics."
- The only recommended thread locking compound for use with Glenair composite assemblies is ND Industries, VIBRA-TITE® Formula VC-3. The product dries to the touch in seconds and is ready for use and completely dries in minutes.
- Use of thread locking compounds other than VIBRA-TITE becomes the responsibility of the end user or sub-contractor. Thorough testing would be recommended.
- Cleaning of Glenair products with any Chlorinated Solvent (all Trichloroethylene formulations), Aromatic Hydrocarbons (Benzene, Xylene, etc), or Ketone based solvent (MEK, etc) will compromise the integrity of the product.
- Isopropyl Alcohol is recommended for cleaning or degreasing.
- Contact cleaner is not recommended.
- Mechanical cleaning methods are encouraged, provided they do not interfere with the molded or plated surface of the component.
- Any typical detergent or surfactant is suitable.